Moving on to the next challenge

Posted by on February 25th, 2013

I have enjoyed the Health portfolio. It is huge and arguably, it takes longer than one year to get around and establish networks. I have been doing that in the past year and I am grateful to all those who were prepared to engage intelligently and repeatedly with me. I have been pleased to stick up for diabetics in the disastrous changeover to the Care Sens blood glucose meters. It was a mistake and should be rescinded. It affects the way people manage their diabetes and directly impacts their well being, especially for Type 1 diabetics.

I have also made a running on the increase in prescription charges, changes to pharmacists’ contracts with the DHBs, and the burden of implementation of changes falling on local pharmacies. This sector is in chaos and Tony Ryall continues to pretend that there is nothing to see here. Shelves full of uncollected prescriptions would say otherwise. If people can’t afford medicines, and some clearly can’t, we are only going to see additional hospitalisations further town the track.  This isn’t rocket science – just medical science.

But now I take up a new challenge with the Environment portfolio.  And there are challenges aplenty.  We would all love our myth of being 100% pure to become fact again but we need aggressive leadership in this area if that is ever to happen. From our waterways to our air quality, and much more besides, there is much to do to restore our natural environment and to protect it for future generations.  I look forward to that challenge.

Thanks again to all you good health folk for working with me over the last year.  Keep up the good work!

6 Responses to “Moving on to the next challenge”

1. Ruth says:

I hope you do really embrace your role Maryann and are prepared to be brave. There are a many challenges and this government cares nothing about the natural environment unless it has an economic value.It is a really depressing time for those of us who care about our land.

2. bbfloyd says:

“In the end it’s very hard to take the politics out of these decisions – they are quite big decisions,” …the pm’s take on the millford dart tunnel issue… Shouldn’t that have gone “in the end, it’s important to take politics out of these decisions?….. Rather telling…

You’ve got your work cut out for you…..

3. Arkonaut says:

Hello Maryan, I’m sorry that you got demoted from Health. I think you were a hardworking health spokesperson. It’s not your fault that you didn’t make any inroads into the portfolio. Much more prominent people than you have tried with no success. I suppose the problem that you had was that you were just dealing with the minutiae and that you didn’t deal with the big picture. Take the glucose meters, for example. With all due respect to you Maryan that was a Pharmac decision, and trying to second-guess medical professionals on purchasing decisions is not a good strategy.

I await with interest to see how Annette goes as Health Spokesperson.

4. Hoolian says:

The fact that you used your position as Health spokesperson as an excuse to flaunt your awful pro-euthanasia bill to the health sector really was a strong enough reason to shift you out of that portfolio.

A health spokesperson who made killing people a core platform for her vision was really not going to win over the Mums and Dads that Labour desperately needs to vote for them in 2014.

5. Maryan Street says:

@Arkonaut – glucose meters affect diabetics’ lives; prescription charges affect people’s access to medicines. People’s lives – minutiae??
    @Hoolian – the public debate over my End of Life Choice Bill has been notable for its respect and thoughtfulness, until your comment was posted.

6. Jack Ramaka says:

Having been a cancer survivor and having watched a close family member go through the agony and pain of cancer until death, despite copious amounts of morphine I agree with euthanasia.

I don’t think one can really comment until you experience or witness the pain and the agony plus the distress it puts family members through for months and years on end.