Go Pies

Posted by on October 1st, 2011

I know there’s only two games in town for us Kiwis. This weekend it’s all about the Warriors.

But apart from rooting for the Irish (not literally) in Dunedin tomorrow night against Italy, I’ll be paying attention to another grand final today.

Collingwood (Magpies) plays  Geelong (Cats) in the grand final of the AFL late this afternoon at the MCG (from 2.30pm Aus time).

It’s live streamed here

I don’t imagine there’s many AFL fans out there, but I lived in Melbourne for 8 years and you can’t survive in that town without supporting an AFL team. Collingwood fans are pretty notorious. I’m one of them.

And then tomorrow night the Warriors play Manly Sea Eagles in in the NRL grand final

So Go the Pies and the Warriors and the Irish this weekend.

12 Responses to “Go Pies”

Oh, I thought this post was about pies :-(

Go the Irish! Yee haa! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!!!!

2. Sam Hill says:

Went to Pies vs Cats at the G’ last year. Good atmosphere.

3. Gary says:

I heard a memorable comment yesterday on the radio: You can tell a female Collingwood fan just by looking at her – she has more tattoos than teeth! I’m hoping you are the exception which proves the rule!

And yes – GO THE IRISH!!!

4. Clare curran says:

Gary. No tats. Yet

5. Oliver I says:

And special thanks to Sir Peter Leitch! :D :D Go the Warriors!

6. George D says:

You support the Pies. I hate you.

I don’t. But I don’t understand how any good person could be a Magpies supporter.

(I barrack for Hawthorn, when I get the chance).

7. Clare Curran says:

Now George hate is a very strong word! Having said that I’ve never paid much attention to Hawthorn!!!

8. Paddy M says:

Claire, why don’t you move back to Melbourne? As Sir Robert Muldoon once said, it would lift the average IQ both sides of the Tasman Sea.

9. Clare Curran says:

Cats vs Pies was a close game until the fourth quarter when the Cats took over and outplayed us. Disappointing but congratulations Geelong.

It was all eclipsed however by Tonga, who beat the French. That was the best moment so far today. Should have been by a bigger margin but as Felix Marwick said on twitter:

@FelixMarwick
    Wow. Just wow. French colonialism is officially dead. #rwc2011 #tonga

10. Frontrower says:

I can’t believe that I watched the ‘Pies lose and missed Tonga winning – because I thought the results would be the other way round. Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

11. David H says:

I went to have a look, and my anti virus said it is an infected site.. it’s infected with html:Iframe-inf.. Maybe your PC needs to be looked at..

12. jeff says:

Wohooo the mighty cats!!!! No can rightly claim to be the best team of the modern era….

And just to continue with Gary’s theme….

Q: What has four-hundred legs and three teeth?
    A: The Collingwood Cheer Squad.

Did you hear that the Post Office has had to recall their latest stamps? They had pictures of Collingwood players on them. People couldn’t figure out which side to spit on.

Q. If you see a Collingwood fan on a bicycle, why should you never swerve to hit him? A. It could be your bicycle.

Did you hear about the politician who was found dead wearing a Collingwood jumper? They had to dress him in women’s underwear to save his family from embarrassment.

Q: What is the difference between a Collingwood supporter and a park bench?
    A: The park bench can support a family.

Q: How do you make a Collingwood supporter run?
    A: Build a job centre.