Well, PM Key said it : Pete Bethune is “downright ungrateful” for the support he had from NZ when he was locked up in a Japanese jail.
That’s a question that has already been hotly debated on Red Alert. But it set me thinking, especially after a day out in the community (that’s Key’s, McCully’s, Coleman’s, Mapp’s and Lockie’s (electorate) community) about what we should be downright ungrateful for:
- We should be downright ungrateful for having a PM that no-one challenges (much) because he smiles and waves and everyone forgets to ask the hard questions;
- We should be downright ungrateful for having a government that is attacking ACC, but hardly anyone notices, because after all, we’re just talking about the injured, the sexually damaged and older people;
- We should be downright ungrateful that our older people have had their home care and/or their meals on wheels cut, even although it meant they could continue to live at home, rather than costing a fortune elsewhere;
- We should be downright ungrateful for Anne Tolley, who is the worst Education Minister ever, and who has left the early childhood education sector completely bemused about why her government thinks it’s more important to spend money on prisons than our children;
- We should be downright ungrateful for the PM’s exhortation that we should all learn Mandarin, even although his government has cut Adult and Community Education – and there’s now no chance to learn anything, let alone Mandarin;
- We should be downright ungrateful for the vehicle regos going up on 1 July, the increase in ACC levies and power and petrol prices on the up and up, and that’s before we factor in the GST increase coming our way;
- And we should be really ungrateful that most middle and lower income people won’t get tax cuts that go anywhere compensating for all of the cost increases either here or ahead of us.
I don’t want anyone to get the wrong message. There’s a lot I am grateful for, but that’s nothing to do with John Key and his NAct government.
How about you? Are you an ungrateful b*st*rd too?
(PS, glad Pete’s home safe).