Pitcairn Island Council

Posted by on March 27th, 2010

Having a quiet coffee after ride this morning when I was approached by a woman who I had never met before, originally from Canterbury but recently returned from UK.

She had watched Parliament the other day and specifically mentioned how Bennett, Brownlee and Tolley had struggled and as she put it – “just aren’t intelligent enough to do the job.”

Then the line which I’m sure will become a classic – “they reminded me more of members of the Pitcairn Island Council than the New Zealand Parliament.”

I suppose we have become used to it and are too accepting.

26 Responses to “Pitcairn Island Council”

He he he :-D

2. Tracey says:

Bennett and Tolley ought to feel insulted being included with Brownlee. I bet THEY know how a credit card works!

3. Oliver says:

I’m appalled that a sitting Member of Parliament actually posted this.

In any other job, a personal attack (implied by posting a vile quote) at your work colleagues would get you a warning if not a more severe remand.

Shouldn’t a sitting Member of Parliament lead by example with integrity, morals, and a sense of fairness?

4. si says:

Trevor, mud slinging by proxy. Time to grow up possibly?

5. stephensmikm says:

I have to agree with Oliver, this isn’t the debating chamber where it’s a free for all but a public blog site and you are attacking your colleagues, ones that held Ministerial roles just as you did once. Grow up Hon. Mallard, MP (you should resign the honourable bit if you’re not going to be a civil human..)

6. n0exit says:

Oliver… Tell it to Bennet + I think the word you’re looking for is reprimand… remand is what they do to people on trial…+ hardly a personal attack, he’s just doing his job which is to convey the feelings of his constituents

7. JANicol says:

If we are measuring the suitability of most MPs (here or abroad) by their robust intelligence and cognitive ability, then the ranks of parliament would be almost empty.

8. Ben says:

Come on Trevor at least pretend to have confidence in labour lol!

9. sweetd says:

“I suppose we have become used to it and are too accepting.”

Would explain why you get voted in.

10. Oliver says:

I’m sorry I used the wrong word and couldn’t change it once posted i.e. “Bennet” and “Bennett” but using the Lewis Carroll principle then as long as we understand what is meant, no harm is done.

You can argue it one way or the other based on a technicality, however I still consider (as no doubt the average joe would consider) it petulant and reprehensible that an Hon. Member or Parliament smugly calls his co-worker stupid for a laugh.

I challenge anybody to find an inspiring leader that would sink that low.

11. Sofie says:

Oliver, The National Party continuously mock the labour Party in The House, which, is a continuation of their past performance whilst in Opposition.I am now of mind that that is all they know so they would expect nothing less of their colleagues. Tuesday was a fine example of what they understand. C’mon, sometimes it just has to be noted. I’ll say it “not the sharpest set of steak knives in the Kitchen”.but you knew that yeah? :) )

12. That reminds me of a comment a friend once said to me. I cannot remember exactly what he said but it contained the words:
    Fraggle. Caucus. Labour. Rock, Are. Like.

13. Linda says:

Completely OFF TOPIC but where have all the education posts gone. Supposed to be 195 but I’m getting a ‘Sorry no posts yet’ message, same for ‘Anne Tolley’ tag.

Please delete this if the problem resolves or there is a better place for it

14. admin says:

Hi Linda, thanks for the heads-up. No idea what’s causing that. Will do some investigating.

15. burt says:

Trevor

I think you should have delivered a swift right to defend Bennett’s and Tolley’s honour.

16. Tracey says:

C’mon Oliver, are you saying you have never heard a competing company or firm making fun of people in another place?

17. Mark says:

Its funny you mention Pitcairn Island One month ban for trolling Trevor

18. Jeremy M Harris says:

A Pitcairn Island Council Meeting would be interesting, barn dances spring to mind…

19. Trevor Mallard says:

Lighten up guys. You sound like anxious tories.

20. I dreamed a dream says:

Bennett, Brownlee and Tolley, on seeing Trevor approaching, yelled “Duck!” :)

21. Bob says:

Trevor you have a wonderful tory support group.How do you do it?

I secretly thought of ducks when I heard Mallard :-D I’m so glad you’re back on the front bench :-D Argh, I’m too drunk to be blogging. :-(

23. gitmo says:

Spud are you Andrew Williams ?

24. Tracey says:

:D gitmo

25. Draco T Bastard says:

1.) Trevor didn’t, he just mentioned that someone else did. Sometimes you need the perspective of an outsider to see clearly.
    2.) It also happens to be the truth so it’s not a laughing matter and does need to brought to the public’s attention.

He then went on and asked why we are voting in these imbeciles and postulated that we, as a society, may have become too accepting. At least, that’s my take on what he said.