Commissioner for Social Inclusion Inspires Conference

Posted by on September 12th, 2009

I didn’t think that I would be saying how inspired I was listening to Monsignor David Cappo at one of the Critical Thinking Debates at the Conference today, although his Order of Australia badge should have been a clue.  I wasn’t even going to his session, until someone told me how good he had been in the morning.

The South Australian Commissioner for Social Inclusion is not like other Commissioners – describing his Social Inclusion Board as embedded in, but not part of, government – an independent body at the heart of government.  I am going to blog on this again once I have done some more research , because I just took notes – but here are some themes that emerged for me…a new form of engagement with citizens; consultation replaced with active listening; consensus building; seeking solutions from those directly involved, not restatement of the problem; collection of data (independent analysis undertaken); world-wide network of researchers and policy makers informing thinking;  recommendations based on evidence-based research; plans developed & costed; accountability for delivery; ongoing monitoring, auditing and evaulation…and this all leads to joined up solutions that are effective.  This probably doesn’t sound new – and that’s because talking about it isn’t new – we talk about it a lot.  Today convinced me that it can be done!

19 Responses to “Commissioner for Social Inclusion Inspires Conference”

1. [...] to tell Lianne Dalziel, who wrote on Red Alert yesterday about her excitement at the idea of a new Commission for Social Inclusion (I am not making this up!): here are some themes that emerged for me…a new form of engagement [...]

2. chris says:

so dumb. so, so dumb. what the hell were you guys thinking? “social inclusion”????!

3. johnbt says:

Oh no, not another commission.

4. Baz says:

Oh gee… oh wow, hmmm oh dear!
    ?

5. Lianne Dalziel says:

I’m sorry that you have lived up (or should that be down) to my expectations. I am not proposing that we set up another commission – least of all one with such a snappy title as a Social Inclusion Board. I was merely suggesting that despite my personal experience in government, I have now heard one real example of how joined up solutions that deliver effective results are possible. I said I would do some research and come back to the topic and I will.

6. Nekminit says:

Urgh, please don’t give people more reason not to like Labour!

7. Hilary says:

I like independent commissions and think this is a great idea in theory. Can you find out whether the SA employs any disabled people, either in the commission or as researchers, and what achievements the commission has in the area of disability and social inclusion.

8. malcolm says:

[Deleted, abuse, final warning - admin]

9. peteremcc says:

“I have now heard one real example of how joined up solutions that deliver effective results are possible.”

Yep, it’s called a market.

10. Stephen C says:

What an excellent idea.

I suggest that you start by engaging with citizens and actively listening to their overwhelming approval of the establishment of this “Commission for Social Inclusion”.

Please be a responsible opposition party; NZ needs you; NZ needs two viable mainstream parties.

11. Lianne Dalziel says:

@Hilary – yes I will specifically address disability in my research.
    @peteremcc – thank you for making me laugh so early in the morning. I thought homelessness (one of the issues they have addressed) was representative of market failure??

12. [...] worse, Lianne Dalziel is excited about a

13. Tim Ellis says:

Ms Dalziel, do you have any evidence that homelessness is the direct result of a lack of accommodation options, as opposed to a mix of accommodation, lifestyle choices, mental health issues, substance dependency and low income?

The housing market is not a pure market, because there is already significant provision of state subsidised housing. If you are saying that there isn’t enough state intervention in the housing market, then this surprises me, because Labour had nine years to fix this problem. There certainly seem to be many more homeless people on the streets of Auckland City than there were a decade ago.

I didn’t hear the previous Labour MP come up with any constructive solutions to the problem, although I understand that Ms Clark intervened to stop an accommodation block for low income people to be built near her home.

14. chris says:

Will you address Young people in care and in foster care in your research.NOT youth justice.

15. bikerkiwi says:

I thought this was a joke when I first read about it on other blogs – then I find out you were serious.

I really hope that you push this thru – A “Commissioner for Social Inclusion” is exactly the kind of thing that will ensure you stay in opposition.

16. johnbt says:

Does this mean middle aged, middle class, white, sane,ablebodied,heterosexual males will get a chance to be included too ?

17. rog says:

[Trolling, deleted. Disagreement's fine but keep it constructive or take it elsewhere - admin]

18. Phil Anderson says:

@ John,

No, it’s still OK to discriminate against them.

I hear you get bonus points if they are also practicing Christians.

19. Lianne Dalziel says:

Thank you for your comments. I have deleted the sentence that excited you all so much from my original blog, because as I have already said, I was not suggesting that NZ adopt the South Australian model. Ironically I wasn’t going to go to the session, because I didn’t want to hear a presentation given by someone with such a ridiculous title. I only went because someone said how good the presentation had been and it was. I am going to research what has occurred in South Australia, because the examples we were given seemed to be effective in addressing what are seemingly intractable problems in some jurisdictions including NZ. What I liked about the approach was that it engaged the community and all the relevant agencies in problem solving and effectively ‘joined-up’ the government response. Thanks for the encouragement!